Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Welcome to Vancouver. Welcome to our blog.
The purpose of this blog is for us to have a conversation. You can read what everyone else says; everyone else can read what you say. That way, we all learn from each other.
Today, I want to write about your first impressions of Vancouver.
What is different than in your country? What is surprising? What do you like? What do you not like?

When I first moved to Vancouver, here are some of the things I noticed:

1. The trolley buses (buses with electrical wires on the roof) are really slow!
2. There are lots of people from all over the world - Vancouver is more multicultural than Victoria, where I grew up.
3. The city is very colourful: lots of yellow, red, green and blue.
4. The mountains and the ocean are very pretty. But the buildings are not so pretty, in my opinion.

These are just some examples. Tell me about YOUR first impressions of Vancouver.

36 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm Teppei Kunita.I'm from Kyoto.

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last Auguest to December I stayed near here and I went to Langara. I thought Vancouver is really multicultural city, so I really suprised. I met many country people and I could make friends. Everyone very kind to me. In addition, I could know other country cultures. Wether is very nice. It is confortable to me. Akiko Fujiwara

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello.My name is Emi Sasada.
I'm from Nagasaki in Japan.
I'm 19 years old.
I think this univercity is great.
because,teacheres are very kind and good!And,building is wide and beautiful.
I want to make many friends in here.
thank you.

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm Teppei Kunita. I'm from Kyoto.I grew up at Sapporo.Sappro is cold but good place.

I'm college student now.My major is international law.

My English is not good because When I can't speak in English,help me.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the second time that I come to Vancouver. Actually, there are more buildings than before, and also, more crowded. However, I still appreciate the biue sky and green yard. To me, the environment is suitable for human beings to live both in the fresh air and the climate. Poeple from all over the world live in the same city. Vaconver becomes not only a place, but more like a melting pot filled with all kinds of colored people. Every color is equal, and it is also the reason why Vancover gets so many immigrants.(Carol)

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I first came to Canada, In my opinion,I thought is was so cold. But air is so clear also view is realy beautiful.
Also I was suprised about transfer. There are a lot of buses in Canada. I was really suprised. Also, I saw trolly bus for the first time. I thought I want try to ride.
I like Canada very much also i want to enjoy in canada.
Airi Wada

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I first moved to Vancouver, I was surprised at many greens and clear sky!!(but today sky is dark...)There are many trees and beautiful grasses beside roads. I moved. My hometown Nagasaki has many nature too but nature in Vancouver is very big!! How wonderful!!

Emiko

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! Im Jun. How wonderful Vancouver is. When I arrived here I thought. However after thet the weather was suddenly chanege. Rainy! I dont like rain! anothe impression is that there too many Chinese shop anywhere and the price is reasonable. Have you already been there?

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my first trip to a foreign country. At first I surpurised that Vancouver is very international and has many natures! I saw many kanji and many Asian are around here. Before visiting, I worried that I might be homesick, but my host family is very kind and cheer, so I did not get sick. I enjoy every day and Canadian culture.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first impressions of Vancouver is so different with Taiwan.
Because Taiwan's weather is so hot but Vancouver is not.Vancouver's street is so clean more than taiwan
.and the air is so fresh that us comfortable,the buliding is so beautiful.But it's not better at all .Vancouver's thing and food is so experience more than Taiwan.So I spent a lot of my mom's money in Vancouver.I think she will kill me seriously. ~=.=

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first impresstions.
Vancouver is so cold~~~~!!
I saw the mountains covered with snow.I was surprised.I don't have warm clothes.So maybe I feel cold everyday~~.
This is my first impresstions.
(Takahiro Shibata)

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also think the mountains and the ocean are very pretty. I went to sea to see a sunset with my host family on first day, and it was very beautiful! And I was surprised that everything are bigger than Japanese one. I was disappointed that there are many Japanese or Chinese food in shops in Vancouver. But I like the nature, buildings, people and food of Vancouver!

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first impressions of Vancouver is so different with Taiwan.
Because Taiwan's weather is so hot but Vancouver is not.Vancouver's street is so clean more than taiwan
.and the air is so fresh that us comfortable,the buliding is so beautiful.But it's not better at all .Vancouver's thing and food is so experience more than Taiwan.So I spent a lot of my mom's money in Vancouver.I think she will kill me seriously. ~=.=

Benny Wang

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I felt very lonely because this is my first trip to go abroad.
It is very colder than I expected.but it is easier for me to live in than Japan because the temperature in Japan is very high.
All host family member is very kind to me.My house in Vancouver is comfortable.

Emi Sakoda

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Yuki.This is my first blog.

My first impressions of Vancouber

It's wonderful!!!
Vancouver is very beautiful. There are a lot of nature. Streets are very wide and clean.And every houses are so cute,I like it.

The weather is not stable.The day before,it's very very hot like Japan.But today it's very cold.I was surprised at that.

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me, it's more necessary to improve my speaking ability. While talking with my appricant and another homestay girl at home over eating dinner.
Fumiko

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me, pronouciation is most difficult in English. So, I wanna practice it more and speak fluently.
>Hiromi Sato

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me,It's difficult to talk in English.

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me,The writing is very difficult. I think the listening is easy but the speaking is difficult.
So,I want to improve the writing and speaking.

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello again! For me the writing is the most difficult. Actually Seeing my first writing, I found some easy mistakes such as no "S". I also have not much vocaburary. that is my weak point. Help me. You can fine some mistakes in this sentences1

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me, talking is very difficult.
I can't talk in English smoothly.But I want to talk a lot with my host family and others.I need more practice!!

Yuki

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

English is so difficult for me.
Because I live in Taiwan .Everybody
speak chinese,no time to practice
english conversation,and i don't learn english very hard in my school.
so I feel english is so difficult.

~Benny Wang~

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me,writing Engrish is hardest.
And then,speaking Engrish is difficult.
In fact,however,all of Engrish is difficult for me.
But,I want to do my best.And, I want to speak every people.
Emi Sasada

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me, speaking is most important to improve English skill. I'm not goot at speaking, so I want to grow up my speaking skill.
Therefore, Writing skill is really important too. I think most of japanese dont have confidence about writing also I have no confidence about grammer. So, I want to grow up my writing skill.

Airi Wada

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me, the most difficult thing is to talk to relatives and intimate friends. Although we are pretty close, I think it is hard to speak before someone whom we are already familar with. Therefore, I consider talking to strangers as easier since they don't know you, you can express your feelings without fearing to make mistakes. But, only in happy moment, not in am EMERGENCY! (Carol)

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like speaking English, so I think writing and reading skills really important for me because I don't like writing and reading. I must more stady writing and reading.
Akiko Fujiwara

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can hear English a little. But I can't speak English well. So, I can't explain my idea and say my feelings. So, it's difficult for me to go shopping(when I buy things I should speak buyer) and speak to people who speak English very well and rapidly.

Emiko

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I study English and American culture at my university, but it is difficult to speak English because I had little practiced listening and speaking compared to writing and reading. I want to be a good English speaker so that I can be more international. To be so, I must understand and be careful what is said to me. I think the most important thing is not to be shy. Rie

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me, it is difficult to understand what the teacher and my host family say because they sometimes speak fast.
It is also difficult to pronounce the English words.
Emi Sakoda

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At first, I suprised size of cars and food.
And nature is very beautiful.So I think that environment is very good for people.
I haven't found out many things yet.
Therefore,I want to find from now.
Emi Sasada

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This morning, I left home earlier then usual because of drizzle. It takes about 5 minutes from my house to the bus stop. Usually I cross the pedestrian crossing but the drizzle let me get across the busy road. Before crossing, I watched right side to confirm my safety. Then started clossing. Suddenly I heard squeal of brakes. When I saw left side, I noticed many cars stopped beside me. I was very surprised, though all drivers did not complain about the reckless pedestrian. What a shame! This is Canada! Left side traffic! I should have watched left side first. I greatly regretted my action. Canadian drivers are gentle but don't forget to watch your both side when clossing the road!

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yesterday we went to downtown following Akiko who has lived here before. Thank for her we could reach using by correct buses and sky train. That area is quite similar to that of London, Oxford, Perth and Cairns. These days I'm not easily attracted by fashionable places. So I'd like to visit nicer senery on the mountain or the bay. I'm looking forward to school excurtions, such as Capilano Bridge and Whistler Trip. Fumiko

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to the metorotown yesterday.It was very huge,soI lost the way.then I played with hostfamily until midnight that I experienced wonderful time.
I look forward to go theCapilano Bridge.
Teppei

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yesterday I went to the Downtown
,but it's experience more than
Taiwan so I bought nothing and went
slept zzz.... @@

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. Since I came here, one week has already passed . Now I fully enjoy class. However one of my annoyance is my host mother. She came from Middle East. She is working at Vancouver Airport with her husband. The working time is irregular. She often leaves home at 4AM. So she requests me not to use the toilet where is next to her room at midnight for the flush sound,in spite of only one toilet in her house. She is so busy that almost of my dinner is prepared by take-out. She still dosn't wash my cloth in spite of my request. So please tell me the place of a coin-laundry near to this University, if you know. See you Tuesday!

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I always forget to write my name. The man who wants to know a coin-laundry is the oldest man in the class.

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home